Day 33: Writer's Block

For as long as I can remember, at least as far back as before my kids were born, I have had people tell me that I should write a book. Over the years, the recommended topic of that book has changed, but the suggestion that I write one has continued.

At times, I confess, I have entertained the notion, but more often than not I say to myself, "What would I possibly write a book about?" Or "Who would listen to anything I have to say?" Or "Who am I to think that what I have to offer is of any value?"

Most recently the book topic that I am told I should write about is Volunteerism, for lack of a sexier word. I do believe that over the years I have cultivated a system of recruiting volunteers that works well, but for me it goes so much deeper. What I have come to realize over the years of working my "system" is that I don't need people to serve, people need to serve because they were created to do it. Seeing people find their calling, their place in life, and the fulfillment it brings them . . . THAT has been life changing for me.

But how does that translate into a book, and who would that help, and how does that reach the masses, and blah, blah, blah? All the questions I ask every single time someone suggests I write a book.

It's not that I don't enjoy writing. OBVIOUSLY I do because I blog everyday! So why does this thought of writing a book make my heart race and my breathing stop?

All that to say, I don't think I have writer's block, I think I have writer's panic.

1 comment:

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.