Day 51: Still Running

It wasn't really a New Year's resolution or anything, but I got running shoes for Christmas, and I started running after the first of the year. Well, I guess technically it wasn't running, but it was at least an attempt at running! I would run for as long as I could without collapsing in need of oxygen. Then I would walk until I could catch my breath and then do it all over again. The running usually lasted about 30-45 seconds and the recovery walk lasted about 2-3 minutes.

I would have found it very easy to give up, I think, and might still find it easy to quit, were it not for the constant support and encouragement from my husband and sons. Jacob has been my running coach, especially helping me understand my boundaries in the early days. And Mike and Zack have been my running partners. I get home late at night, so I can't run by myself, and they are both very gracious about running at me. Of course, Jacob runs with me too! And I also joined a running group, so that helps me be accountable as well.

I don't think you can really understand the sacrifice the three of them are making unless you have run alongside me. You see, I'm slow. Very slow. I run about a 12 minute mile (including my walk time) and they are all much faster than that. But they run alongside me and never make me feel like I'm dragging them down. It's very nice.

Now, I can run about a mile and a half without stopping, and without dying. I'm proud of myself. I hope my body holds up though. :)

All that to say, I'm still running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.