Day 13: The K(C)atherines


Sometimes friendships can be a lot like an old pair of slippers or a favorite sweater. They are better every time you slip them on. They are more comfortable with each wearing. They always fit and nothing about them ever goes out of style in your mind.

I am blessed to have friendships like that in my life. I am especially blessed to have friendships like that in my life that have been unexpected surprises born of chance meetings (or sacred meetings if you prefer). This weekend I get to share some precious time with two such friends.

I met Katherine at church. I don't know that you could say we struck up an immediate friendship, but we certainly had good chemistry right off the bat. We started a small group that failed as I recall, along with the church we were attending. But our friendship lasted. And though it has ebbed and flowed, we have somehow managed to stay connected. Our hearts are entwined, as good friendships often are, and our souls connected by our love for one another and our love for the God we have worshiped together. Katherine has challenged me in many great ways, made me think deeply about things I don't like to think about, and loved me in spite of what I am sure are significant shortcomings.

I met Cathy through Katherine, actually through small group #2 that Katherine and her husband, Greg, started. I remember one night over dinner in our small group I was listening to Cathy talk and I thought to myself, "Oh my gosh, I have lived her life!" I think I said something out loud like, "No one at this table knows you like I do." That was the night that our friendship blossomed. Three different couples became one closely knit group because Cathy was willing to open her life and be transparent. That's what I love most about her. She's vulnerable and transparent and wants so desperately to be who God wants her to be that she's willing to lay down any pretense that her life is perfect. I have learned a lot about seeking God through her. She's also fiesty and fun and surprising and 100% the princess we have labeled her to be!

All that to say, I am looking forward to two more full days with the K(C)atherines. And I promise to post a picture tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.