Day 12: Prayer is the Real Work

Prayer is the real work. My Pastor says that a lot. He says it so often that it is deeply engrained in our culture. It's part of our DNA. Sometimes I think it's funny when people say, 'WoodsEdge, y'all are that praying church.' or something along those lines. Seems like an odd thing to say about a church because shouldn't we ALL be praying churches. But that's not the point of this blog.

Wednesday nights we have a weekly prayer service. Now I don't know how you grew up, but as I was growing up, and even long after I was grown up, my Wednesday night "Prayer Services" were anything but. They were sometimes business meetings, rarely any singing, though sometimes we might have a few hymns thrown in, mostly preaching ('cause you know that message you got on Sunday was all sunk in and being practiced . . . ) Not much prayer though, other than the 10 year olds praying for it to end.

But our Wednesday night prayer service is actually a prayer service. We pray and we pray hard. We worship like Jesus is about to ride in on a cloud. And it is life giving and life changing, and often it is challenging because God speaks to you in those moments. Last night was like that. Challenging I mean. In a good way. God caused me to have to really think through some tough things. Some things I have wrestled with for a long time. He challenged some conclusions I have drawn about myself and pointed out my errors and poor judgment.

All that to say, prayer is the real work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.