Day 144: Daddys and Daughters

I am not too much of a girly girl. I don't wear a lot of pink. I don't reapply my make-up during the day. I'm more at home in a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt then I will ever be in a dress.

I can totally relate to Taylor Swift's song (I don't know the name of the song, and I might not even have the artist's name right!) but it says something like,

"She wear short shorts, I wear sneakers. She's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers."

That's me. I'm the girl in the sneakers on the bleachers.

But there is something that comes over me from time to time, something deep down in my soul, that makes me want to twirl. And I mean, T-W-I-R-L.

I'm talking ballerina, spin around, arms extended, twirling. It's about the most girly thing I do. And I do it well!

It's very uncharacteristic.

I attribute it to my love for dancing that was instilled in me at an early age by my parents. They danced. I would sometimes hide out on the stairs and watch them slow dance at night after we had all gone to bed (or so they thought). Sometimes, in the middle of their dance, my dad would twirl my mom around and she would laugh a laugh of deep contentment.

I longed to be the girl in my daddy's arms, twirling around and laughing.

This weekend, my daddy and I will celebrate our first ever daddy daughter dance. I'm looking forward to being twirled around. Except he's 70 now with two bad knees, so who knows how the evening will go!

All that to say, I'm looking forward to being the little girl in my daddy's arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.