Day 86: Being the Man of Her Dreams

I was talking with someone today at church. We started talking about raising kids and all the things we have taught our grown kids and all the things we didn't, but wish we had. They asked, what's the one thing you wish you had taught your sons? And I said, "I wish we had taught them how to woo, and win over the woman of their dreams, and then how to be the man of their dreams." They laughed at me and said, that's a tall order. What would you have said?

"Someday you will meet the woman of your dreams and when you do, she's going to want a few things from you. She's going to want to be pursued, and then cherished. She's going to want to know that you adore her, that you think she is the smartest, most beautiful woman in the whole world. She's going to want to know that you would never hurt her intentionally and that you will also make sure no one else does.

She's going to want you to be generous to her and to others. She's going to want you to be selfless. It will be important to her that you love the poor and hate injustice. And she's going to want to see how you live that out.

She's going to want you to lead her spiritually, to love Jesus more than she does. She's going to want you to pray over her and for her and with her. She's going to want you to tell her what God is teaching you and to talk about your faith.

She's going to need you to be a good listener, which will be hard for you because you will want to fix her problems, but she really just needs you to listen.

She's going to need you to be a good provider. Not to be rich, or a money making machine, but just to know that you will do what it takes to make sure she will be cared for.

And more than anything else, she needs to know that you love her more than you love yourself.

All that to say, when I finished my discourse my friend said, "You should write that down and give it to all mothers of sons." So here it is. And because I know my sons read my blog, when you find the woman of your dreams, here's how to be the man of her dreams. I love you.

3 comments:

  1. True, Carol. But you forgot to add, "She will also want you to supply all of this without any expectations of your own, because you have to love her unconditionally. If you ask why she can have a list and you can't, she'll tell you that you don't understand because you're a man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Doug. Actually, I asked several guys for a list and all I got was wisecracks. Like, He's going to need you to know exactly when to fetch his beer and turn up the tv . . . etc.

    So, if you have a "real" list then I'd love to see it.

    Dude, you sound bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beautiful.
    absolutely perfect.
    i'm praying for sweet sleep for you tonight.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.