I'm Allergic to Late Nights

I was driving home tonight . . . home to my Sr. Adult Living community. It was close to midnight, so pulling into the community, I felt pretty sure that sirens would sound and lights would flash, and old ladies with panties on their heads would be standing next to their bathrobe wearing husbands staring me down with shame as I pulled into my driveway. That didn't happen.

Anyway, I wasn't real far from home, maybe a fifteen minute drive, but I was tired. I wasn't swerving on the road or anything that dramatic, but I sat at a stop sign waiting for the light to turn green for quite some time. Turns out stops signs don't change colors no matter how long you sit there. I laughed at myself and decided I must have a lot on my mind, then continued my drive home. Soon I came to an actual red light, got in the left turn lane and waited for the light to turn green, for real this time. The lights to go straight turned green, but it was several moments later before the green arrow came on. Again, I sat there. Just sat there. Staring at the green arrow and not going. Suddenly it dawned on me that the light was green, and I turned.

As I turned, I thought, I must be allergic to late nights, because my brain is too fuzzy to comprehend when I should stay and when I should go. (sorry, but right now my brain is singing, should I stay or should I go . . . you just sang it in your mind too didn't you?) I'd love to tell you that I only did this twice, but I did it several more times. The best moment was when I saw the school zone sign, slowed to 35 and then realized I was going 35 mph in a school zone at midnight.

All that to say, I have decided that perhaps I should not drive late at night. It's just not wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.