I Should Have Stayed Home

I just went shopping at Wal-mart, the one at the front of The Woodlands, and if you live in The Woodlands, you know what that means. I got a great parking space, so I had high hopes of a good experience.

I started by returning my rented DVD to the REDBOX. Seriously, that thing is awesome. I have no idea how they can make any money renting DVD's for a $1, but they really are only a dollar. I watched August Rush. It was great. But, I had to wait in line for two different people, who seemed unsure of how to slide a credit card, make a selection, and then go. And, did I mention I have been sick for a week, have no energy, and can't stand in one place too long without feeling like I'm going to faint? So, picture me standing in line behind not one, but two people who are not technologically savvy. I did lots of deep breathing, which either made them think I was a pervert, or that I was incredibly impatient.

I finally returned my movie, and went inside the store and the WalMart "greeter" tried to give me a basket, but it was stuck to another basket. It would have been rude to reach around him and get my own basket, so instead I stood there, not sure whether to help him or just watch him struggle. I chose the latter, combined with more deep breathing. Really I was just trying not to pass out.

I went through the store fairly quickly, only forgetting the toothpaste, and then headed for the checkout. Didn't there used to be some rule at WalMart about having less than 3 people in line at a time? If so, that rule was not in effect. I was the 4th person in line. It's funny what you notice when you don't feel good, and don't feel like standing in line. I actually found myself getting angry at the couple two people in front of me with a million cans of cat food and dog food. Didn't they know I wasn't feeling well? Didn't they know I couldn't stand in one place for long without passing out? Did they really have to pick today to buy all tiny little cans of food that were going to have to be scanned one at a freaking time?

Finally, the woman in front of me was getting checked out (in the cashier to food kind of way, nothing creepy) and I started unloading my basket. But as she finished, her credit card wouldn't go through. She told the cashier to try it again, and again, and again. The cashier told her it wasn't accepted and she insisted it was. This went back and forth for what seemed like an ETERNITY. I leaned over the handle of my basket, put my head down on my arms, breathing deeply, and trying really hard not to pass out. It entered my head that maybe I should just abandon the basket and go home, but I was so close! FINALLY, the cashier suggested that maybe the woman should try a different credit card and VOILA! Yay!

Apparently though, my deep breathing and laying over my basket gave the cashier the impression that I was quite put out with how long it took her to check out the other customers. She apologized so many times for how long it took her. I really wanted to tell her that I was just sick and having trouble not fainting, but then I thought she would be freaked out that she was having to check out a sick person, so I let her think I was just rude and impatient. Maybe I was.

All that to say, I should have stayed home. I didn't need groceries that badly. And PS, this virus is horrible. I am ready to be well. And, I'm sorry to all the people that I probably made sick at the WalMart. My husband is coming to see me tomorrow and I sure don't want to make him sick.

1 comment:

  1. i hate to hear that you have been so sick, BUT...now do you understand why i bailed on coming to texas?! it sounds like you have had what i have had and it is yuk! i am still coughing and that part lasts for a couple weeks is what the dr says. i am glad that your hubby came to stay with you. i know that made you feel somewhat better jsut to have him there. i'll give you a call this week. guess we will talk in between coughing fits. :) love ya...cathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.