Day 131: If God is For Us

Calling is a word we throw around a lot in the church world. We use it to express our life's purpose (our calling). We use it to get out of stuff we don't want to do ("I'm sorry, I just don't feel called to do that). We use it to quit stuff we don't like anymore ("I just feel like God is calling me away from this.")

Of course, that's not to say that we aren't called to do a job or called away from something, and I'm not making fun of people who have told me that recently, so don't get your shorts in a knot.

But we do use the phrase a bit lightly, I think.

A calling, a true calling from God requires a few key elements, I believe.

1. A willingness to sacrifice something
2. A willingness to do something that is much bigger than you could accomplish on your own strength
3. A willingness to set aside other people's opinions of you (especially as it relates to said calling)

There are probably more, but these are key.

Mike and I have been talking (and sometimes arguing) about our "calling." We have been called to be the surrogate parents for two precious twin girls.

1. We are sacrificing many things. Our sleep. Our sex life. Our bank account. (I got my daycare bill yesterday. $1668 for one month! holy cow!) Peace. Our freedom to come and go as we please. Free time.

I could go on. But you get it.

2. This is so much bigger than us. We absolutely cannot do it on our own. As evidenced by the number of conversations we have had lately about needing a) a plan b) a division of duties c) a village to help us with this d) prayer, more prayer, more prayer e) a second job f)God's provision g) wisdom to know how to navigate what is normal two year old behavior and what is from the upbringing they have had thus far.

3. People think we are crazy. Many of those people are in our family. I get asked really often if I freak out at the thought that I have two year olds again? YESSSSS!!!!!! I FREAK OUT at the thought of that. And teacher parent conferences. And sports practices. And dating. And, and, and.

But if God has called us, then He will equip us. He will give us the money to pay for things. He will provide people to come along side us to help on sick days, and offer us date nights (thanks Martin and Kim . . . and Brooke and Jacob and Zack and Christina). He will help us be unified as husband and wife. I believe all of those things.

All that to say, if God is for us . . . :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.