Priceless


When I first moved back to Texas, Zack and I sort of set aside Thursday nights to hang out. He would typically cook dinner, and then we watched The Office (which I had to learn to love, still learning by the way . . . mostly because it has this inexplicable way of making me spit water out of my nose at the most unexpected moments!) and then we watched Grey's Anatomy. Zack wasn't a big Grey's fan . . . had never really watched the show until last season, but that was our pattern. He always acted like he didn't really like the show, but secretly, when we would miss a Thursday night, he would tivo it for me (I almost said tape it) and watch it without me.

Last night we hung out, went to the mall for some work clothes, came home and ate pizza which is not on my food plan, watched The Office, which was funny and I almost spit water through my nose, and then we watched Grey's. He still professes not to like it, though I distinctly saw him enjoying it last night. He's not a fan of the two of the characters, so he protested a bit about them. But he still liked the show. I know he did. You know you liked it, Zack.

The best thing about last night was just the normalcy of it all. For those few short hours, life felt balanced. As the evening ended, and my eyelids grew heavy, Zack popped off the couch (he tends to come to life in the late evening) and said he had to head home to learn some songs. If I haven't mentioned it, he's a bad ass musician (I usually say he's a bass player, but after some discussion between he and I, he said bad ass musician sounds way better, at least if you are a musician).

All that to say, shirt and tie $64, pizza and a coke $17, spending a normal evening with my b-a musician son . . . priceless.

2 comments:

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.