The Wisdom Principles #9

Men prepare a meal for enjoyment, and wine makes life merry, and money is the answer to everything. Ecclesiastes 10:19

As I have mentioned, I am studying through the book of Ecclesiastes using a commentary by David Fairchilds, pastor at Kaleo Church in San Diego. In chapters 10 and 11, he is teaching through what he calls "The Wisdom Principles." Number 9 really struck me today. Wise men know when to play. It speaks for itself, so I am copying it for you to read:

"Not only do the wise know when to work, they know when to play. How many of you know when to play? Some of you are very good at working, but you are terrible at enjoying what it is that you are working for. Some of you also have been told a poverty theology or a prosperity theology. Neither are the biblical model. In the Bible there are righteous rich and unrighteous rich, there are righteous poor and unrighteous poor. The issue is not rich or poor, the issue is righteousness or unrighteousness. Money can help you attain the goals you have set if you want to get married, buy a house, put your kids through college, and know when to throw a party and enjoy your friends. Wise people know that money without wisdom is dangerous and deadly. Wise people know how to make and how to spend their money. Sometimes we are so focused on our financial planning though that we can’t enjoy a meal out or a vacation away because all we think about is the money."

I have a friend whom I have heard say many times, "It's only money, if I don't spend it on this, I'll just spend it on something else." The same friend also says, "It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I chose to spend my money on something else."

Last night, I took my two sons out for a nice steak dinner. It was expensive. Well . . . by my standards it was. And as I paid the bill, I had a moment of "Good NIGHT, what was I thinking?" but that thought only lasted for a moment. And then I thought, "It's only money, if I didn't spend it on this, I would just spend it on something else." And I really enjoyed the meal and the time with the boys. So, I'm glad I spent it.

But, I must also be wise. Which is why God gave me my husband. He is our planner and saver. But I also think it is why God gave me to my husband, because I am the part of us that knows when to play. :) Sometimes I over-play. But sometimes, he over-plans. So, we need each other. Together, we are wise. . . sometimes.

All that to say, it is easy to focus too much on too many things, and in doing so become fools. What we are called to do is to focus on God and in doing so, be wise.

1 comment:

  1. "The issue is not rich or poor, the issue is righteousness or unrighteousness." hmm...i like that thought...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.