It Always Comes Back to Humility

I think that from now on, anytime anyone asks me what God is teaching me (through any set of circumstances or crises that I am experiencing) I will just answer, "humility." It just always seems to come back to that for me. I wonder if when Paul talked about the thorn in his flesh, he was talking about an actual physical pain (most would say yes, but for the purpose of this blog, I am going to hyperspiritualize for a moment), or was he talking about the sin that just always seemed to be taking a bite out of him?

For year, YEARS I have prayed and asked God to teach me to be humble. And boy has He taught me. Most recently with my broken arm and having to have people bathe and dress me, but He has taught me in other ways as well.

Right now I am reading a book called, "Discerning the Voice of God" and in the first chapter the writer talks about what we must do to hear the voice of God. One of the first things is having a desire to actually hear the voice of God. Then, recognizing that we need to hear the voice of God. I think that recognizing the need is where many people, well, at least I struggle. Recognizing that I need someone, anyone else, is sometimes difficult for me. Obviously a pride problem, and thus the need for humility, AGAIN.

The author proposes that perhaps if you are not hearing the voice of God it is because you don't really think you need to. Ouch. But I do need to hear the voice of God, and I do want to hear the voice of God, and I do long to hear the voice of God.

All that to say, "God, will you speak to me? Will you give me guidance and direction? Will you, if I sit still long enough and really listen, speak to me?

1 comment:

  1. oh carol, i also so want to hear the voice of God! are we really not hearing because we are too busy? but what does sitting still mean an how do we do it? my heart SO wants to hear Him too!!
    i can't wait to see you hopefully next week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.