Fools and Wise Men

I think I have mentioned before that I am studying the book of Ecclesiastes (yes still.) This morning I studied Chapters 9 and 10. I am using a commentary by a guy named David Fairchild at Kaleo Church in San Diego. This guy kicks butt, doesn't hold much, if anything, back, and has really helped me walk through this book of the Bible. Much of my blog today is (are?) his words that I am sharing with you.

Today was about fools and Wise Men. (not THE Wise Men, just wise men) He said if you think you are a wise man, you probably are not, and if you think you are a fool, you probably are. LOL. Basically he was saying that at times, we are all fools. :) I agree.

But I love what he had to say. He defines wisdom as "thinking God's thoughts after Him." He goes on to say, "We don’t need to be a genius, we don’t need to be innovative, we need to be humble and obedient." Well no wonder most of us are fools much of the time. Or maybe I should speak for myself. No wonder I am a fool much of the time. Look down a couple of posts and you will see the title "It always comes back to humility." So I have to spend more time being teachable, humbled and obedient and less time trying to be clever.

Here's the checklist for foolishness, in case you are in doubt:

Fools never learn (Chapter 9 vs. 13-16)
Fools have big mouths and never listen (vs. 17)
Fools are destructive (vs. 18)
Fools stink up everything (Chapter 10:1)
Fools are always lost (vs. 2-3) (even when they stumble onto the right path, they still lack direction . . . ouch)
Fools are hotheads (vs. 4)
Fools turn everything upside down (vs. 5-7)

He closes by saying, "It’s time we die to ourselves, our agenda, our pride, our selfish and foolish pursuit of things instead Christ, and come as children to be taught by the Father. It’s time we see Jesus “in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” Colossians 2:3

All that to say, Ouch. God encourages us this way, "Do not think more highly of yourself than you ought." He has such a way with words. Perhaps I should try thinking His thoughts for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.