Home

When I leave work at night, I say I am going "home," though I am living with someone else in their home. When we go visit my husband's mother, he says he is going "home," though he has never lived in the house she lives in now, and hasn't lived in that state in over 20 years. Right now I am in Atlanta (I flew in from Texas at midnight!) and I told my friends I was going "home" for the week to see my husband, though I haven't lived here in 5 months and can't even remember where we keep the glasses anymore!

So what is HOME? Where is HOME? Please don't give me that junk about it being where "the heart is" or worse yet where you "hang your hat," or some other stupid saying you read on a sign somewhere.

Is home where people you love are? Is it where you sleep on a regular basis? I suppose we could get really superspiritual and say it is heaven and that the reason we long for "home" is because we long for heaven.

I know this. I miss my husband. I miss living together. I miss going home to him at night and sleeping in the same bed with him. I miss knowing where the glasses are. I miss our things that look and feel familiar because they are a part of who we, he and I, are as a couple. They represent our lives and our memories together.

All that to say, I miss HOME. I am "home" sick.

2 comments:

  1. Carol
    It's funny that you are blogging about what home is because lately I have thought a lot about it. Home for me has become a sense of peace, a place of grounding, a feeling of familiarity and in my case a house. Since we have been away from our home for 6 months, I have come to appreciate our house, the things that were in it and what it meant to us. Our "home" is our safe place. It's where the we are the "realest". It's where we collect the memories that make us a family and part of a community. Needless to say, I can't wait to go home.

    I am sorry you are homesick. I am sure your husband misses you too! I pray that you are together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. home...i think that it is where we feel safe with people that love us. saying "home" brings a sense of security and relaxation, peace. home is wherever my family is. i guess a person could have a few "homes". what a blessing to have multiple places of rest, peace, happiness and relaxation.
    you are blessed carol.
    and...i am glad you still (for the time being) call georgia home. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.