About Texas

There is a girl in my new "girls group" (Holla) in Texas (I clarify because I am still transitioning from Georgia to Texas) ANYWAY, there is a girl in my new group, and she is from California. Texas is funny to her because people are sooooooo proud of being Texans. She even has a blog dedicated to showing people just how weird Texas is compared to California. (www.thecalitexans.blogspot.com) Well, maybe that isn't the point of her blog, but I imagine for those folks living in California, from whence she came, Texas is weird.

I have really enjoyed Texas through her eyes. Big storms, big hats, big personalities, big hair. Everything really is bigger and better in Texas. I'm in Georgia right now and I blogged about a waffle and she asked me if it was in the shape of S.Carolina (where I was when I blogged) because her experience in Texas was that in every hotel she stayed at, her waffle was in the shape of Texas. HA!! I remember that from when I moved here. I got welcome gifts with Texas shaped chips, Texas shaped cookies, Texas shaped hot pads (not practical, just for the record). But really, Texas has such a recognizable shape, so why not?

Her funniest stories have been about trying to use "the language." So far I haven't heard a single "fixin to" "biggo" or even a good "y'all" out of her. She better get on her horse and skeedaddle back on home or start pickin up some texanese. (Sorry, that was terrible. It really was.)

My friend Cathy (from Georgia) loves Texas because, well, I'm here (j/k . . . sort of) but also because of Whataburger breakfast taquitoes. She found a whataburger in Florida and started screaming and freaked out her family because they couldn't figure out why she was flipping out over a fast food restaurant. (For those of you who don't know it, Whataburger started in Corpus Christi, Texas.) Jana, if you haven't tried the breakfast Taquito, you need to.

All that to say, I love Texas. It has a lot to love.

2 comments:

  1. This YouTube video says it all...

    Key lyric...

    "Even Moses got excited when he saw the promised land."

    GOD BLESS TEXAS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Darlin'. After readin' this post I'm just fixin' to cry. Sometimes I wonder what in tarnation I'm doin' here. But all y'alls have been so darn swate to me, I reckon I'll be stayin' for a right long time. YeHaw. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.