Day 160: Wrap Your Head Around This

"And take the helmet of salvation . . . " Ephesians 6:17

I thought for a few moments this morning about all the times that people put on a helmet. Here's my list.

1. Football players when they walk out onto the field
2. Skateboarders right before they jump on their board
3. Cyclists right before they go on a ride
4. Motorcyclists (the smart ones) before they start their engines
5. Rock climbers before they find the first footing
6. Soldiers before they leave the safety of their compound

I'm sure there are many more. That was my quick mental list. But the thing about each of these people is that they put on their helmet BEFORE they begin their activity. It's not the first piece of equipment they put on. In most of those cases that would be pretty silly, but they certainly don't wait until they are in the middle of the activity that REQUIRES a helmet to put it on. And they don't just put it on once, they do it multiple times, every time.

When I first read through this passage on the armor of God, I thought to myself, "why wouldn't you put on the helmet of salvation first?" You know, get saved, then suit up for battle? But that's not what this passage is saying to us. Yes, I do think it is talking about actual salvation, scriptural salvation, salvation from sin that leads to eternal death, THAT salvation. So why is it even included in a passage to people who are already saved, already walking in the light of salvation, already Christians?

I believe it is a reminder that we are fighting a pretty tremendous and difficult fight with an enemy that is not flesh and blood. An enemy who is cunning, and seductive and a brilliant liar. And if for one second he could get us to doubt our salvation, we are done for. So when you suit up, place that helmet of salvation firmly over your head, your mind, the place where the enemy does his work. Remind yourself of the fight you are fighting.

These scriptures tell us what we are fighting for. The hope of our salvation.

I confess that “in due season I shall reap if I do not faint.” (Galatians 6:9)

I confess that “the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared to the glory that shall be revealed to me.” (Romans 8:18)

I confess that “my light affliction, which is but for a moment, works for me a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory.” (2 Corinthians 4:17)

I confess that “Christ Jesus in me is the Hope of glory.” (Colossians 1:27)

I confess that “whom He justified, these He also glorified.” (Romans 8:30)

I confess that “now is my salvation nearer than when I first believed.” (Romans 13:11)

I confess that “I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13)


Paul says it this way in 1 Thessalonians 5:8-11, "But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him. Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing."

. . . "and as a helmet the hope of salvation."

All that to say, Jesus Christ is our hope, the hope of our salvation. Instead of trying to wrap your head around that, try wrapping it around your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.