There's Just This Thing He Does

Sometimes, when I am home, and it is just Mike and I, I act like an idiot. It's not a side of me that many get to see. I know right now that some of you are thinking, "OH CAROL, I have DEFINITELY seen that side of you." But I say back to you, "you are wrong." I am not talking about the side of me that is silly, or funny, or humerous, and hilarious. I am talking off the charts goofy, completely nuts, (picture Tom Cruise-Jerry Maguire-show-me-the-money crazy!) I am so goofy that my sweet husband just cracks up because there really is no other option.

Likewise, there is a side of Mike that few get to see, and I saw it tonight. He was watching "Remember the Titans" a show he has seen SO many times. It was almost the end of the movie, where the Titans are in the locker room, and the white coach tells the black coach that he needs help to beat their opponent. It is a very poignant moment. I looked over at Mike and saw that he had teared up and was smiling from ear to ear.

As the movie continues, the emotion builds as the Titans go on to win the game, and again, I looked over at Mike, but this time he was openly crying, and he was still smiling and wiping the tears as they gently spilled down his cheeks. Slowly, the movie transitions to the very last scene. The Titans, who are all grown up, have all come home for the funeral of their friend. It is the emotional climax of the movie, where people who are watching the movie don't know whether to laugh or cry. I looked over and Mike was still crying, but now he was laughing and crying.

It is THAT side of Mike Jones that made me love him in the first place. He has the most compassionate tender heart. He cries at movies. He hurts for people who are hurting. He has a way of smiling at babies that would make you think it is the first time he has ever seen one. It's that glimpse into his gentle soul that makes me love him.

All that to say, I married well. And every now and then, there's just this thing he does that reminds me why.

3 comments:

  1. "....the white coach tells the black coach ...."

    i'd prefer if you used the terms "caucasian" and "african-american" from now on. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I knew I'd get some flack for that one! And, besides that, I read that the term "African American" is no longer PC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting. i'll bring it up in samuel and mine's next "racial awareness" discussion. i'll let you know his thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.