Gonna Have to Face It I'm Addicted to Blogs

I read a lot. I read books. I read magazines. I read emails. Even the dorky forwards. I read junk mail. And I most CERTAINLY read blogs. I read tons of them. I have a few that are my favorites. But when my "favorites" don't blog for a while, I read some of the other ones that I don't get to as often.

Being the blog connoisseur that I am, I have noticed something about blogs. Most people blog very mundane things. But in their mundane, commonplace blogs, you get a picture of who they are and what is going on in their lives, and what is important to them. Some people blog their thoughts, what keeps them up at night, their faith, their trials in life, their fears. And some blog about controversy.

The "what" of blogs really does vary from blog to blog. But here is the common thread that I have found in blogs. The commenters. People rarely comment on the mundane, unless it strikes a personal chord with them. They sometimes comment on funny things like road rage or eating too much, or bad experiences in restaurants. But post a blog about anxiety in your life, something you are struggling with, something that gives people the opportunity to give advice or tell you how they "know how you feel" or something that stirs up a little controversy, and EVERYBODY (slight overstatement) has something to contribute.

I recently commented on a friend's blog, (probably for the same reasons listed above) and the commentary that ensued on her blog was a hailstorm of anger, frustration, advice, defensiveness from pretty much everyone commenting (myself included), and lots of other emotions. I don't know that I have ever been personally singled out on a comment before, so it was a new experience and not one I relished. But it did teach me something. Be careful what you write. No one can see your facial expressions. They can't hear your voice. And in the case of blogs, some of the people who are reading your words, don't know your heart.

All that to say, I think I am going to take a "commenting" hiatus. But that doesn't mean you should! wink.

1 comment:

  1. So I read this blog for the first time a few days ago and thought about commenting, but then realized that if I did, it may spoil the vibe of this post.

    It wasn't until today (the third or fourth time I've read the title of your post) that I realized that it was a Robert Palmer lyric (or reference, anyway...).

    So I decided that I now had good reason to post -- that reason being to point out that I'm just a li'l bit slow...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.