Rank Has Its Privileges

I am the Lead Children's Pastor at my church. That is a pretty lofty title, and with it comes a tremendous amount of responsibility. Under my "umbrella of authority" (I love to say that . . . "umbrella of authority) are all of the Children's Ministry staff from all of our campuses (4 to date). It would be pretty easy to get the big head in a job like this, let me say.

On top of this amazing title, I have a private office (well, on most days it is private). If people want to see me, that have to PLAN on coming to see me. I am situated sort of "out of the way" so very few fly-bys happen with regard to visitors. I have my very own conference table, my own refrigerator, my own private window overlooking a treed gazebo. (I know you are all waiting for the punch line). All kidding aside, I really do have a nice office.

But in the keeping-me-humble department, my office is situated directly behind the men's restroom . On top of that, my return air vent goes directly into said men's restroom. So everything that happens in there, and I do mean everything, I hear. I hear cell phone conversations (it is surprising how much men talk on their cell phones while doing both #1 and #2). I hear newspaper pages turning. I hear men having arguments with their wives. I hear ALL the sounds. ewww . . . yuck.

Afternoons are particularly harsh in my office. That "post lunch" phenomenon takes place and there is a steady flow in and out of the men's room, followed by a steady flow of aroma into my office. When people do come to see me, they are often greeted by this odor. I used to try to explain the origin of the smell, but now I just let people think it is me. It takes less time that way. Plus, it keeps the return visits to a minimum. :)

All that to say, the saying "Rank has it's privileges" has a whole new meaning.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! And I always thought Janet was just foul! kidding, kidding.

    But I did make an extra effort to always use the Student Center restroom...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.