Day 63: Entitled

I've been thinking about this word a lot lately. I hear it often in this community where I live. I hear it often about the people who live in this community where I live. And when I do hear the word, it is never used in a positive context.

What exactly does it mean to be entitled? According to dictionary.com it means

en·ti·tled  [en-tahyt-l]
verb (used with object), -tled, -tling.
1. given a title, right, or claim to something;


It basically shows ownership. For example, when you buy a house, and you are given the title to it, you are "entitled." Meaning you have the right to expect certain things as it relates to that property because you own it.

So when I hear people say that someone acts "entitled" they are basically saying that person acts like they own the place. You get the idea. It isn't positive.

But this weekend, I listened to a message in church and it made me realize just how entitled I act, most especially as it relates to the things I think God owes me.

I think I am entitled to a life of ease. I think I am entitled to a life of pleasure. I think I am entitled to a life of prosperity. I think I am entitled to a life void of disease or distress or physical pain. I think I am entitled to a marriage without stress.

In short, I think am entitled to have a life of riches and gain here on earth.

But nothing is farther from the truth.

What I AM entitled to is a life free of worry. Not free of stress, free of worry. But I choose not to claim that. I am entitled to a life of peace. But I choose not to walk in that either. I am entitled to the kingdom of heaven, because of Jesus. But somehow, that's just not good enough either. At least that's how I live.

All that to say, imagine if I would just live with the entitlement I have instead of with what I want to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.