Something to Write About, Something to Fight About

I know, I have been noticeably absent of late in my writing. I think I wrote like 4 times in the entire month of July! But, honestly, I haven't really had anything worth writing about. I had some pretty dramatic things happen while away at 220. But they were TOO dramatic to write about in a blog.

But today, I heard something that really ignited my fire. I was at the Leadership Summit (a conference for leaders and those aspiring to be leaders) and there was this man there talking about social injustice. He said, "We Americans think that we experience injustice every minute of every day." He went on to tell this story about being at the grocery store, in the "express" lane when he noticed that the guy in front of him had 13 items in his cart. The NERVE. 13 items in the 10 items or less lane!

I wanted to laugh, but sadly, I have actually gotten that mad at someone in the express lane for the exact same reason, and sadly, I have considered that injustice! Others things that have made me angry . . . people on welfare driving expensive cars while I work my butt off and yet I drive an 8 year old Mustang, paying for hot coffee and getting cold coffee at Starbucks (not iced . . . just cold, yuck!), being told that it will take me 20 minutes before it will be my turn to get a pedicure and it takes 30 minutes! OH the INJUSTICES I face.

I spent an hour seeing pictures of young children sold into sex slavery, of a little boy beaten and shot by police officers so they could get more money for their beer binge, of an entire family kidnapped and placed into slavery at a rice paddy. And those things were the tip of the social injustice iceberg.

All that to say, I do not have any idea what injustice is. I am a spoiled, rich, American. I know that I can do better. I know that even I just one person, can do something. As I heard today, "God has a plan for this world, and we are it. We are God's plan." I am part of HIS plan. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.