Mad About It

I watched this couple argue this morning. It was quite comical. They were arguing about how long they would stay where they were going. One person wanted to stay overnight so they could visit friends. The other person wanted to go home and not stay the night. The argument itself was fairly boring.

But ah, the methodology was brilliant. The girl used the method I like to call the "pesky fly" approach. Every time the guy would say something, she would say something else, a rebuttal, and she would say it quickly. Then the guy would try to restate his case, but she would buzz in with another rebuttal. The guy would remain silent for a moment, continuing to focus on what he was focusing on when the girl buzzed in again. buzzzz "but if we drive there and drive back, we're just going to have to drive back again tomorrow for the wedding." buzzzzz "but if we stay the night, I can have lunch with so and so." buzzzzz "but if we come back we're going to waste gas." buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz The pesky fly approach. It worked. He kept swatting at her rebuttals, but finally just gave in.

Other methods I use are the email approach. My husband and I argue by email. I know that is weird, but we can take our emotions out of the way and get to the core of what is really bugging us." Sometimes I use the silent approach (but if you know me very well, I don't do this one very well.) Sometimes I use the "withholding" approach . . . you know what I mean . . .wink. I'm not too good at that one either! TMI?

All that to say, I enjoyed watching their interaction with one another. It was educational. What is your most effective method?

1 comment:

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.