Move It or Lose It

Since October of 2007, I have lived in 3 different homes. I guess I should be . . . no, I AM grateful that I have a place to live at all. Really, if I look back on this whole thing, I have been very fortunate (I would have said blessed, but sometimes that sounds so churchy and religious, but really the word blessed is probably more appropriate . . . plus I don't believe in fortune or luck . . . but now I have sidetracked myself and you with random rabbit chases about words like fortune and blessing . . .) Okay, so if I look back I can see how God has so richly provided for us (that's the perfect word choice!)

For the first six months, I lived with some pretty wonderful people, the Tarbuttons. They open their home to anyone and everyone, anytime anyone has a need for a place to sleep or stay. Six MONTHS. That's how long they opened their doors. Then I got to live in an old folks neighborhood. Only the 55 and up get to live in there. But me and my fam . . . Mike, Jacob and even Sarah (who is not fam, but she fits in well!) lived in the "old folks home" as we called it. We lived there totally free for 4 months. Totally free!

And now, Mike, Jacob and I are all living in a 900 square foot 2 bedroom apartment. We have lived in all these places because we have a 4000 square foot house for sale in Georgia. I used to think God was punishing us or something. You cannot imagine how hard it is to go to that house in Georgia with its sprawling rooms and luxurious furnishings, and then have to leave it all behind and go live in someone else's house.

But now I have a different mindset. I think God is blessing us, not punishing us. Because what I am learning is how stupidly wealthy we have been living for years. We have so much, and yet have appreciated it so little. I used to think that we were waiting on God to sell our house. But now I see that God is just waiting on us, on me and Mike, to surrender everything we have to him, including our spacious home and luxurious furnishings. And, He's waiting on us to surrender our security. I think we have both surrendered the home. The security . . . that's a little scarier.

All that to say, my home is not here. Not in Texas. But it's not in Georgia either. And it's not where I hang my hat (if I had one, which I don't because I look terrible in hats!). It's somewhere way better than all of that. It is, however, where my heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.