A Yearning to Wallow

I feel the need to wallow today.

No I don't. Yes I do. No I don't. Yes I do. No I don't. Ugh.

I want to complain about the fact that I have to clean my house today. I want to complain about the fact that I need, okay WANT, a pedicure. I want to complain that I have a to do list twelve miles long and can't get ANYTHING FREAKING done because my phone rings off the hook (if it had a hook, which is doesn't, but I don't know the cell phone equivalent!)

I want to complain about the fact that my butt looks like the 18th tee on a duffer's course (think about it, you'll get it). I want to complain that some idiot in a Porsche almost rear-ended me going 80 in a 45 this morning and made me break my promise to myself not to think bad words anymore.

I want to complain that I haven't had a day off in 15 straight days, and I am so tired right now that every thought taxes my brain! I want to complain that I can't see, I can't hear, and my short term memory is crap, dang it . . . bad word . . . my short term memory is pooh.

I want to complain that somehow, today, my life just seems unfair in a million ways.

BUT, then, I remember an old friend of mine who never seemed to have a bad day. She told me that each day should would write a few things that she had to be thankful for onto a roll of adding machine tape. When she had filled up the roll, she would put a piece of tape on it and put it in her cabinet. Whenever she was having a bad day, she would open the cabinet and see years worth of rolls of adding machine tape. She said one look inside that cabinet was enough to remind her that life was indeed, good. Now, I have to say, if I were her, I would probably open the cabinet on a bad day and be inclined to heave the rolls at something, but I suppose I should learn from her. Today I need a good lesson.

So here goes, my cyber roll.

I am glad that my husband is coming to live with me today. I'm glad the fact that he is coming gives me reason to shave my legs everyday (I love the way freshly shaved legs feel on my sheets!) I am glad that I have a house TO clean, even if it isn't mine. I'm glad that someone has been willing to give me a place to stay for the past 7 months.

I'm glad that I have a butt, divots and all, because I heard yesterday that when we get to heaven we will have 30 year old bodies and I was pretty hot at 30! I'm glad that people tell me I have held my age well. :)

I'm glad that I have such a great family. I'm glad that my true friends love me with my warts and weaknesses and that I can be myself with them. I'm glad that my son is graduating from College. That rocks.

I'm glad that there is a God in heaven who loves me just as I am and not as I think I should be. I am so grateful for His grace and His sacrificial love.

All that to say, I could choose to wallow, but then I would just end up eating myself into oblivion, and my yearning to wallow would become a yearning to swallow! And who needs that? Today, I will say, It is well with my soul.

2 comments:

  1. Carol, if you are making fun of me for having a photo, then I will kindly refer back to “any-whoooo” If you are just jealous of my blog savvy skills (ya right), then I will kindly refer back to your affection for lemonade…either way, there is enough reason to hate on me! Sometimes a girl needs a photo to drive the point home! I was feeling artistic and melancholy! :)

    Shell
    I will come back to read your actual posts later...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's not discuss butts. I am only 29, but my dad- yes, my DAD, says that when I walk my butt looks like two bear cubs wrestling in a gunny sack. i.e., my rump is enormous.

    Shaved legs rule.

    xoxo Jana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.