Strange But Oddly Comforting

I have hesitated to blog about this because I know too many people who will tease me about this, BUT last week I took a week of vacation and went way out into the middle of nowhere (Tickfaw Louisiana to be exact) for a quilting retreat (yes I said a quilting retreat). For those of you who are making "old lady" jokes in your mind right now, I was by far the youngest person there. In fact most of the women were in their 70's.

It was probably one of the most relaxing things I have done in a long time. Part of the reason was because I could not get cell phone reception and had absolutely no access to my computer. So I was forced to rest! Instead I spent the time sewing, talking, and listening to the wisdom of 70 year old women. We laughed, (well, I laughed) ate too much food, stayed up way too late (I thought old ladies went to bed early), and just in general had a great, relaxing time.

But let me tell you these ladies LIVE. They don't care anything at all about watching their figures. We ate rich, RICH meals and every meal came with a homemade dessert (including but not limited to Italian Creme Cake that was OMGosh so so good.) I told them that I could actually feel my thighs growing! One lady said to me, and I quote without censure "Well when you get to be our age, all you have left is Cheesecake and dildos." I worked real hard at trying to put that thought out of my mind! Although I laughed, I told her I didn't think people actually used that word anymore! But I was oddly comforted by the thought that at 70, I'm still going to be thinking about and interested in sex. :)

Throughout the week they would say, "Carol, cover your ears, you're too young to hear this!" HA! I love being in a group where I am the young'en! They had some pretty incredible thoughts about politics (like Barack Obama was the anti-christ to name a few) and some pretty incredible insights on life (like "I have found that the best thing to do is to just always tell the truth. It doesn't help anyone to do anything else.")

All that to say, I came home rested, relaxed, and feeling very very accomplished. I was less busy and got more done than I have in months. These Senior women may be on to something.

6 comments:

  1. i'm gonna need to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah quilting! scarves for Christmas then?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so glad that you had a great week and some time to get away. i can't wait to see the quilts when i come see you. (and yes, one day i will actually make it there) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think it is funny that no one here has even commented that carol jones used the word DILDO on her blog. They all just passed right over it as if in denial. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.