Day 7: I Love You, Mike Jones

I remember our first date so incredibly well.  I was at a bowling tournament (yes . . . a bowling tournament).  Funny thing is that I was taking bowling because I had to transfer out of my Beginner Jogging class at LSU because I passed out on the track after running a mile.  HA!  If they could only see me now!

Anyway, Mike and I had arranged for him to pick me up for our first date at the Student Union at LSU.  He was supposed to pick me up AFTER the tournament, but he came early to watch me.  My friends were a little surprised to see him there.  And even more surprised by the familiarity with which he placed his hand on my back to let me know he was there.

Mike had a bit of an unsavory reputation back in those days.  He was . . . ummmm . . . well . . . what you would have called a "ladies man" back in the day.  True Story.  So when I told my friends that I was going to go on a date with Mike Jones, I got a pretty common response.  It went something like this: "WHAT????  THE Mike Jones????? WHY????"

I agreed to go out on a date with Mike because he helped me get through my freshman algebra class and he said it was the least I could do. Just one date.  So I went.  And truthfully, I didn't expect too much.

But I was so surprised by him.  He was funny, and generous, and kind, and silly.  He talked passionately about his family and bugs (yes bugs, but it was strangely cute!  He even slammed on his brakes because he saw some special moth, and he was hoping he hadn't run over it!)

And so we had a second date.  And a third date.  And on our third date he told me that he knew he was going to marry me someday.

And he did.

All that to say, first dates are filled with the promise of an unknown future.  I love promise.  And unknowns.  And futures.  Here's to our next 32 years of first dates.  I love you Mike Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.