Day 11: You Gotta Have Friends

I have been blessed in my life to have many good friends.  And though I don't usually do things like this in my blog, I want to tell you about 5 such people that I know.  They are people that I not only love; they are people I hold in very high esteem. I love them because in the midst of incredibly difficult circumstances, they were Jesus to me.

Each of these five friends is uniquely different and much loved for different reasons. Mary, Courtney, Rodney, Louie and Casey.  Thank you.  Today's an anniversary.  Though you might not know it.

Mary and I worked in cubicleland together.  My absolute favorite thing about her was that she would randomly bust out with a ridiculous song, often incredibly loud and equally off-key.  On the day I was fired (yes, I said fired) she showed up at my house with two pints of ice cream and two spoons.  No one knew I was fired.  It happened after everyone had gone home.  But somehow, Mary knew.  And she cared enough to make the drive.  With ice cream.  Those are just two of the reasons I love her.  She is Jesus to so many.  I count myself lucky to know her.

Courtney and I worked together in a very different way.  She was a pretty good volunteer, but I knew she had so much more in her than just acting on stage.  I saw great leadership in her, and I challenged her to rise up and lead.  And she did.  And her capacity to empower others, to dream, to create and to love . . . incredibly inspiring. I love Courtney because she isn't afraid to embrace life.  She makes me want to embrace life in return.

Rodney and Louie are seriously two of the nicest guys I have ever known.  I have never heard them say a single bad word about anyone. Ever.  That's rare, and commendable.  I remember on the day I left, Rodney said, "I don't know the real reason you are leaving here Carol, but I just want to take this opportunity to tell you that I appreciate the way you have worked with such faithfulness here.  I noticed.  And Jesus noticed."  I don't really know why that has stuck with me all these years, but it has.  I love both of these guys because they love people in a way that makes the people around them feel special, and valued, and needed and loved.

And lastly, Casey.  Casey has more integrity than any person I have ever known.  And he knows why I'm saying that.  And that's enough.  I love you Casey and your single act of loyalty and integrity is still the greatest thing anyone has ever done on my behalf. 

All that to say, I'm sure this blog is only meaningful to those 5 people, but I wanted to put it in writing.  And to say thanks.  As Louie would say, "You're good people."

1 comment:

  1. I love you. Your friendship and who you are continues to inspire me to love more and better. You are a true gem of a human being and I am honored to know you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.