Happy Birthday Mike

Big Mike, as he is affectionately called by Shauna Maness, is turning 52 today. 52! (Mike has tons of nicknames . . . "Jonesie," "The talking man," "Crazy Mike," etc.) The funny thing about Mike and his birthday is that he hates having a birthday. Well, not so much the turning another year older part. That doesn't bother him. He just doesn't like the "fuss" of a birthday.

Apparently, as the story goes, when Mike was a little boy (I think 8 or 10) he had a birthday party. And at the party, he "ranked" the presents in order of the ones he liked the best to least. (Why didn't his mother stop him?!) After the party, he got to thinking about how much that must have hurt the feelings of his friends who came to his party, brought presents, and then got ranked at the bottom of the heap.

To this day, he does not like birthday parties. He doesn't even really like presents for other holidays either, showing almost no emotion when he gets one, which I ALSO think stems back to the now infamous birthday party.

But he does like it when people say nice things about him. So I have declared today, "A Day of Mike." I stold (I know it is stole, but for some reason I have a hard time with that word) it from my friends in GA who have "Days of . . ." when it is someone's birthday.

All that to say, if you read my blog and you know Mike, will you email him today at mjones3730@gmail.com and say something nice to him? Tell him an anecdote that you remember with him in it (not antidote . . .). Happy Birthday, Honey. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.