Day 17: Sweet Buns

I'm on staycation this week.  Of the 4 weeks of vacation I have a year, probably three of them are spent as staycations, because, well, I have three year olds, and that should be enough said.

So this week on my vacation, I have decided to take all the recipes I have pinned on Pinterest and start cooking my way through them.

This morning, after searching for online recipes for uses for leftover buns, I decided to create my own recipes (which is a slight divergence from my initial plan to cook through pinterest) but that's okay.

Here's my recipe:
about 7 buns (hamburger or hot dog)
1 cup of sugar (I thought later I should have added some brown sugar too!)
1 tbsp of cinnamon (you could probably reduce this)
3/4 cup of butter melted

Cut up the buns into bite sized pieces and place in a bowl
Stir in 3/4 cup of melted butter
Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a plastic bag
Dump bread and butter mixture into a plastic bag

Grease a bundt pan
Put bread and cinnamon mixture into bundt pan
Bake for 20 minutes.

RESULTS:
Tastes good.  Doesn't stick together.  So it comes out more like donut bites.  Next time, I'm going to try stirring 1/2 honey into the mixture to give it something to "cling to."  I'll keep you posted.  But hey, if any of you real chefs have any ideas for how to make this mixture actually stick together and come out looking like Monkey Bread, let me know.

UPDATE:  After dumping it out of the pan, it did stick together, but it lacks the gooey delicious texture of monkey bread.  I added a quick glaze of powdered sugar and sweetened condensed milk.  It tastes delicious, but needs some gooeyness.  I'll try again.

All that to say, I like staycations.  Pretty sure my blue jeans aren't going to be happy with me though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I look forward to hearing from you.